Thursday, September 10, 2009

Callback


Awhile back we at Masters of None did a show on the top movie characters of all time. We came up with our own top ten. While I like my list…..one character was left out! I am ticked that I forgot to mention him and now is my time to add him to the list. His name, J.W. "Grandpa" Gustafson! He was played by Burgess Meredith. He was most known for his role in the Rocky flicks and playing the Penguin in the Adam West Batman TV shows.

Now to me I love when a supporting character makes the movie. Not saying Grumpy Old Men is the best movie ever, but if you take Grandpa Gustafson character into account well you got a sweet flick. I love the fact they had an old man just telling people the way it is….yes very stereotypical but damn , his delivery was spot on. If you haven’t seen the movie well I suggest you do and just watch Meredith’s parts in the movie. I’m gonna spoil some of it for you cuz I don’t really think many people are gonna check this movie out. Plus I want to display some of his sweet quotes.

Enjoy….maybe pop some popcorn right now and read on.

Example 1
John Gustafson: Pop, I wish you'd try the low-fat bacon.
Grandpa Gustafson: Well, you can wish in one hand and crap in the other and see which gets filled first.

Example 2
Mama Ragetti: We could have retired in Hawaii.
Grandpa Gustafson: I have been to Hawaii.
Mama Ragetti: Oh yeah? Which island?
Grandpa Gustafson: Come-on-I-wanna-lay-ya.
Mama Ragetti: I find you disgusting.
Grandpa Gustafson: Well, just as long as you find me.

Example 3
Grandpa: Relax. Kids swallow quarters all the time.
Melanie: Really?
Grandpa: Sure. If she craps out two dimes and a nickel, then you can start worrying.

Example 4
Grandpa Gustafson: [after a swig of an alcoholic beverage] Breakfast.

Example 5
Grandpa Gustafson: He's taking the one eyed monster to the optometrist. Looks like Chuck's taking a skin boat to Tuna Town.

-Art




2 comments:

  1. How bout a picture of the guy, oh master of the web and photoshop?

    ReplyDelete